Thursday, January 24, 2008

work it

A few weeks ago I wrote about going to my prenatal massage at the spa in the W hotel. It was dark and rainy when I got out of the spa, so I decided to have lunch in the hotel restaurant. You know, since I couldn't make my lunch all those brownies at the spa lounge.

As I made my way to the restaurant, I had to walk through both the lobby and the lounge, and both of them were full of business people. Small groups of 3 or 4 people sitting around low tables, having meetings. Colleagues reviewing paperwork. Business travellers on their own, working on their laptops with a cappuccino in front of them.

And I was jealous. Bitterly, longingly jealous, missing those days. Those days of travel, of meetings with grownups, of decisions that produced immediate results and the camaraderie of colleagues. Oh, and employees that actually listened to me and did what they were told. Unlike my current staff of one.

Don't get me wrong - I am thankful that I had the choice to stay home for these past three years, and thankful that I'll get to do it again with baby #2. I'm glad I got to be there for all his firsts, to watch him grow and develop, and to see him, every day, turn into the little person he's become. But I really miss working - I have just removed myself so far from that world that I don't often think about it - my days now are filled with kid classes and my world populated with parents and other children. Walking through a business hotel made me seriously nostalgic, though. And as much as I bitched about it while I was working, I have always, always loved to be busy. I mean productively busy, not busy wiping noses and doing endless amounts of sweeping, laundry, and play-doh playing. I'm an immediate gratification kind of girl.

The good news, though, is that I can take naps when the Boy does. There were no naps at work. If there were, though, I might be tempted to go back.

No comments: